[Kde-pim] pimitemtable with null remoteId ?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Oct 16 08:17:32 BST 2013

Am Dienstag, 2013-10-15, 22:40:39 schrieb Martin Koller:
> Hi,
>
> I found in my akonadi database a lot (511) entries in pimitemtable which
> have null values in the column remoteId. I see that most entries do have a
> valid remoteId (which in my case are filenames of the mails in the maildir
> tree) so I wonder: is it valid to have null entries in remoteId (for
> collections which otherwise do have the filenames there, most of them are
> the folders for mailing lists) ?

Yes, that is valid.
Entries without remote ID are those that have been created but have not yet
been persisted by the owning resource.

Example: you create a new folder in KMail. It creates the respective Akonadi
Collection. The collection is now in Akonadi, but does not have a remote ID
just yet.
The owning resource (maildir, IMAP, etc), gets notified about the new
collection. It creates the collection on its backend. It retrieves the
respective remote ID and modifies the entry in Akonadi accordingly.

> Interesting is also that ALL of these have the dirty value == 1

Right, because they currently are not "saved" yet, e.g. like a document in a
text editor that you have started to work on but have not saved. It is also
missing its "remote ID" (filename) until you actually save it.

> I checked manually the Date: header of some mails (in a folder where there
> are just a few mails but null entries in the DB) and it seems there are no
> matching mails on disk for the entries in the database. Should I be worried
> ? Can they harm ? Can I clean the DB from these ?

The unsaved payloads (mails) should be in Akonadi's file item location or, if
small enough, in a table in the DB.
If you don't need them anymore you can of course delete them, this is your
data after all :)

> Is there somewhere documentation about the purpose of the tables (which
> seems to be not so hard to guess) and the columns of the database tables ?

Maybe in the file the Database schema is generated from.
Some XML file IIRC.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring