[Kde-pim] pimitemtable with null remoteId ?

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Wed Oct 16 16:09:21 BST 2013

Hi Kevin,

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 09:17:32 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 2013-10-15, 22:40:39 schrieb Martin Koller:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found in my akonadi database a lot (511) entries in pimitemtable which
> > have null values in the column remoteId. I see that most entries do have a
> > valid remoteId (which in my case are filenames of the mails in the maildir
> > tree) so I wonder: is it valid to have null entries in remoteId (for
> > collections which otherwise do have the filenames there, most of them are
> > the folders for mailing lists) ?
>
> Yes, that is valid.
> Entries without remote ID are those that have been created but have not yet
> been persisted by the owning resource.
>
> Example: you create a new folder in KMail. It creates the respective Akonadi
> Collection. The collection is now in Akonadi, but does not have a remote ID
> just yet.
> The owning resource (maildir, IMAP, etc), gets notified about the new
> collection. It creates the collection on its backend. It retrieves the
> respective remote ID and modifies the entry in Akonadi accordingly.

ok, thanks for the explanation.
However, in this case, I have a _lot_ such entries which are also rather old.
The oldest ones are from July, but I find a few for every month up till today.
I have the feeling that something is not working correctly here.

It seems that all of these mails are in collections which are targets of a filter
(mailing list mails), so I have the feeling that there is still a bug in the filtering
code (and also I still do have duplicate mails in these folders, which sometimes disappear,
when clicking on them...)

> > Interesting is also that ALL of these have the dirty value == 1
>
> Right, because they currently are not "saved" yet, e.g. like a document in a
> text editor that you have started to work on but have not saved. It is also
> missing its "remote ID" (filename) until you actually save it.

which would mean - in case of an email downloaded from my POP account -
that the mail has been downloaded but not yet stored on disk ?

I have no imap account, just a POP account.

So how is the process here ? When is the mail stored on disk (in my maildir) and
when is the akonadi entry made ?
When does filtering kick in ?

> > I checked manually the Date: header of some mails (in a folder where there
> > are just a few mails but null entries in the DB) and it seems there are no
> > matching mails on disk for the entries in the database. Should I be worried
> > ? Can they harm ? Can I clean the DB from these ?
>
> The unsaved payloads (mails) should be in Akonadi's file item location or, if
> small enough, in a table in the DB.

Is that (openSuse 12.3) ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data ?
In that dir I have 2810 files (all named something like 261372_r0), but only 513
entries in pimitemtable with null remoteId.
and yes, the (all?) contain mails. But again - I have files from about 22.Juli
until today. When shall they be moved into the maildir and deleted from here ?

> If you don't need them anymore you can of course delete them, this is your
> data after all :)

I'm more interested in finding out WHY they are not in my maildir.

> > Is there somewhere documentation about the purpose of the tables (which
> > seems to be not so hard to guess) and the columns of the database tables ?
>
> Maybe in the file the Database schema is generated from.
> Some XML file IIRC.

yup, I found that already, but the comments in there are sparse ...

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion