[Kde-pim] Thoughts on fixing the CalDAV Ressource ignoring multiple events in fetched *.ics files

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Oct 11 11:52:26 BST 2013

On Thursday, 2013-10-10, Philipp Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in order to finally be able to use owncloud/Android/KOrganizer together
> without any drawbacks I wanted to find out why KOrganizer or more
> specifically Akonadi completely ignores the fact that there can be
> multiple VEVENTS in a CalDAV calendar file and only presents me with one
> (most often one of the recurrence exceptions with STATUS:CANCELLED).

So a single entry on a CalDAV server can actually be multiple calendar
entries?

I googled a bit and it seems at least the initial RFC for CalDAV says
otherwise:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4791.txt

 "Calendar object resources contained in calendar collections MUST NOT
   contain more than one type of calendar component (e.g., VEVENT,
   VTODO, VJOURNAL, VFREEBUSY, etc.) with the exception of VTIMEZONE
   components, which MUST be specified for each unique TZID parameter
   value specified in the iCalendar object. For instance, a calendar
   object resource can contain one VEVENT component and one VTIMEZONE
   component, but it cannot contain one VEVENT component and one VTODO
   component.  Instead, the VEVENT and VTODO components would have to be
   stored in separate calendar object resources in the same collection."

> method would have to be used instead. I would go ahead and fix it if the
> dav resource is the only place that needs fixing. If however other
> changes are needed it would be nice if you could point me to those
> places ;) (And maybe give some hints).

If it is a problem with the CalDAV resource then that is the place to fix it.
Everything else deals with single calendar items already, so there is no need
to change anything elsewhere.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring