[Kde-pim] Thoughts on fixing the CalDAV Ressource ignoring multiple events in fetched *.ics files

Sergio Martins iamsergio at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 12:14:40 BST 2013

On Friday, October 11, 2013 12:52:26 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2013-10-10, Philipp Schmidt wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > in order to finally be able to use owncloud/Android/KOrganizer together
> > without any drawbacks I wanted to find out why KOrganizer or more
> > specifically Akonadi completely ignores the fact that there can be
> > multiple VEVENTS in a CalDAV calendar file and only presents me with
one
> > (most often one of the recurrence exceptions with
STATUS:CANCELLED).

> So a single entry on a CalDAV server can actually be multiple calendar
> entries?
>
> I googled a bit and it seems at least the initial RFC for CalDAV says
> otherwise:
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4791.txt
>
>  "Calendar object resources contained in calendar collections MUST NOT
>    contain more than one type of calendar component (e.g., VEVENT,
>    VTODO, VJOURNAL, VFREEBUSY, etc.) with the exception of VTIMEZONE
>    components, which MUST be specified for each unique TZID parameter
>    value specified in the iCalendar object. For instance, a calendar
>    object resource can contain one VEVENT component and one
VTIMEZONE
>    component, but it cannot contain one VEVENT component and one
VTODO
>    component.  Instead, the VEVENT and VTODO components would have
to be
>    stored in separate calendar object resources in the same collection."

I think Philipp is talking about RECURRENCE-ID, in which one CalDav entry
can have 1 recurring event and a couple of exceptions ( events with
RECURRING-ID property ).

> > method would have to be used instead. I would go ahead and fix it if
the
> > dav resource is the only place that needs fixing. If however other
> > changes are needed it would be nice if you could point me to those
> > places ;) (And maybe give some hints).

CalDav is the place to fix it, as other resources already support
RECURRENCE-ID.

Regards,
Sérgio Martins