[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue May 7 10:51:19 BST 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-05-07, O. Sinclair wrote:

> Well well. For starters IMAP and Exchange works best when you live in a
> connected environment. Some of us, actually still the major parts of the
> globe, live with slow and expensive internet. We want client-side working
> solutions. We do not depend on a "cloud". We fall asleep waiting for IMAP
> sync. I have all my mail on my laptop and use pop and a good backup. And so
> does my around 100 clients in 5 countries.

It's not so much a matter of "cloud", more a matter of the ISP or a secondary
service provider having mail related services, such as an outgoing mailserver
and hosting mailboxes. Most such providers have IMAP.

I am also not sure why either speed or cost of the connection should matter,
i.e. I doubt that the IMAP protocol has a significant overhead over POP3, most
data will be the emails themselves.

Actually, server side filtering should cut down on cost since you don't have
to transfer data that you would throw away anyway, no?

> So I really disagree. And my wife does. She uses thunderbird, plain and
> working. Whatever files she saves are nomally dumped on the desktop. No
> tagging (have you ever heard of anyone non-IT actually taggin files).

Actually, in my experience, non-IT people are the most craziest taggers. E.g.
making a picture available to any such crowd will result in almost
instantanious tagging of people, attaching of comments and ratings (e.g. like,
+1, depending on the interface).

IT people are often way more cautious because they are aware of the
consequences, especially when tagging people.

> I am sorry, I am a KDEPIM fanboy but like many others I ask -where did the
> whole database search concept come from? I never search for email outside
> the client, why would I?

You'll have to ask the search people how they arrived at the database based
concept, probably because using an index is faster than crawling through each
mail when searching.
Not sure what that has anything to do with the interface being used though.

> While I sometimes disagree with Martin I admire his strong devotion to hunt
> bugs. While I agree wiith the devs I also have to question the foundation:
> why and who use the database computer concept?

I'd guess most programs other than maybe text editors do. Browsers (e.g.
Firefox for bookmarks, history), mail clients do (e.g. for mail headers),
media players do, etc.

> Who tags their files?

Almost everybody I know. Be it EXIF tags on images, artist/album/coverart on
music files, ratings, tagging people, commenting on other people's photos, ...

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring