[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

O. Sinclair sinclair at orionweb.info
Tue May 7 09:48:15 BST 2013

On Tuesday 07 May 2013 10:13 AM Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Monday 06 May 2013 21.42:17 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > True to tradition, we spent a good amount of time talking about when it
> > > would be time to go out and tell the world to give KDE PIM a try. At the
> > > sprint there was unanimous agreement it is time to dispend with this
> > > tradition.
> >
> > Whats the current state with this marketing blocker collection?
>
> Someone would have to find time to go through the list and see what has been
> resolved. I know that at least the major issue I reported remains, and
> suspect it is true for some others.
>
> Unfortunately I lack the time to go through the list right now.
>
> Volunteers would be rather welcome.
>
> > I wouldn´t use it as a mail solution in a company right now for example.
>
> Actually I think it's the other way around.
>
> I would perhaps *only* use it in a company, or follow the same practices.
>
> This is how my wife is using it for years now, in production, with only
> minor
> issues. Let me explain:
> > And I think main show stopper are still correctness, consistency issues,
> > unhelpful error messages / notifications during daily use - like mail
> > cannot be moved or deleted with a maildir mail file name and no reason as
> > to *why* or way to fix it up.
>
> In my experience, maildir is hardly a corporate feature, it's all in IMAP
> for the same reasons filtering is done on the server (see below). Likewise
> POP3 is largely irrelevant in a properly set up and maintained corporate
> installation.
> > 1) No automatic filtering at all.
> > 2) No CRM114 spam filter rules, also not manually.
>
> In a company, that would largely be done server side as you would *not* want
> to rely on desktop-side filtering due to the fact that you're also pushing
> mail to mobile and want filtering to have taken place before that.
>
> Sieve editing is definitely not good in KDE PIM right now, but then often
> companies would deploy server side Sieve editors - Kolab for instance has a
> pretty good one.
>
> We're looking into also providing this kind of editing for KDE PIM, but for
> the moment there is a workaround which is corporate friendly, as many
> companies lock down the Sieve port for good reasons: They do not want users
> to use anything but the officially supported path to edit Sieve scripts, as
> there are too many ways to generate support requests otherwise.
>
> Likewise spam filtering is done on the server through Sieve.
>
> > I am also asking due to "kde-pim hopeless?" thread in kdepim-users. I do
> > not think it is. But I see that it has only few developers who work
> > really hard. I think about how users can help, maybe some bug triaging. I
> > try to isolate repeatable testcases for the gravest bugs I found as time
> > permits. Testing and reproducing takes quite some time too.
>
> I realize that, and understand, even share, some of the frustration.

> [...]

Well well. For starters IMAP and Exchange works best when you live in a
connected environment. Some of us, actually still the major parts of the
globe, live with slow and expensive internet. We want client-side working
solutions. We do not depend on a "cloud". We fall asleep waiting for IMAP
sync. I have all my mail on my laptop and use pop and a good backup. And so
does my around 100 clients in 5 countries.

So I really disagree. And my wife does. She uses thunderbird, plain and
working. Whatever files she saves are nomally dumped on the desktop. No
tagging (have you ever heard of anyone non-IT actually taggin files).
Searching for mail works wonderfully.

I am sorry, I am a KDEPIM fanboy but like many others I ask -where did the
whole database search concept come from? I never search for email outside the
client, why would I?

While I sometimes disagree with Martin I admire his strong devotion to hunt
bugs. While I agree wiith the devs I also have to question the foundation: why
and who use the database computer concept? Who tags their files? The most-used
is "recent opened" files.

Had to vent.

Orjan Sinclair