[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Tue May 7 17:59:15 BST 2013

Dear Orjan Sinclair,

On 2013-05-07 17:31, O. Sinclair wrote:
> I want to state that to note that I am not a "joe doe". I started my
> professional career with computers around 1982, before THE IBM PC.

Coincidentally, so have I. Self taught software developer on the
Amstrad CPC 464. Earned my keep as a software developer and later also
did some IT solutions and support as a student through my own little
company. Like so many of my generation. So I do remember the world
before the internet. In fact I was running mail boxes for dial up for
some time. Which is why I sympathise with your situation and can
empathise.

That said, the awesome thing about Free Software is that you can make
it do whatever you need it to do. The emphasis being on you, both times.

Kevin and myself tried explaining to you that the world we live in is
dramatically different from yours. That does not invalidate anyone's
personal experience. I believe you that you hardly ever see any tagging.
Your users probably have very different problems, I can imagine. But
please accept that Kevin, myself and others are living in a different
world, as well, though, and our experience is no less valid.

In our world, tagging is important, and IMAP is the default and primary
protocol, for many reasons, including the omnipresence of the mobile
platforms.

Since Kevin and myself live in that world, that is where our attention
goes first, just like your attention is focused on your own situation.

Naturally everyone here would like to make KDE PIM rock solid and
robust and superfast for every single use case. And yesterday.

But then none of us has the problem of infinite time and resources at
their hand.

So both Kevin and I would love to make KDE PIM do not only what we need
it to do, but also what you need it to do. But in reality we need to
start at the problems we encounter in the world we live in ourselves
because then we have a chance to also get around to solving your
problems for you.

You are welcome to help us do that, by the way.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve