[Kde-pim] Re: Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Jan Kundrát jkt at flaska.net
Tue May 7 18:19:18 BST 2013

On Tuesday, 7 May 2013 17:31:05 CEST, O. Sinclair wrote:
> With IMAP and Exchange (not supported by Kmail) you have to understand that
> location matters. Where connection is expensive and erratic you
> want your mail
> ON YOUR DEVICE where you can deal with drafts offline. Filter rules are on
> your device and should be.

This is interesting. I'm not suggesting that Trojita will work well for you at this time, but I'm pretty sure that there is no reason for not using IMAP, actually. Using IMAP will bring you the following benefits:

- a primary copy will be stored on your server as well, so that when your house gets flooded or on fire, or when your PC gets stolen you won't lose your data,
- you can set up your e-mail client to ignore all spam without ever having to fetch it over your expensive link,
- you can access some of the data in the e-mail even before the big attachments are downloaded to your machine,

etc.

You are right that most IMAP e-mail clients are not particularly well-designed for offline modifications (like moving messages between folders); that is likely going to be a showstopper here. Perhaps Trojita will be able to do this in a few months.

With kind regards,
Jan

--
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/