[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Sun Mar 3 11:43:44 GMT 2013

Dear all,

True to tradition, we spent a good amount of time talking about when it would
be time to go out and tell the world to give KDE PIM a try. At the sprint
there was unanimous agreement it is time to dispend with this tradition.

So we agreed that it is time to start countering the impression of "noone is
using Kontact productively/successfully/happily" by all of us sharing not only
the pain, but also the pleasure we have when KDE PIM does things well.

These do not have to be lengthy blog posts or glossy magazines.

Short dents/tweets/G+/Facebook postings entirely suffice as long as we do them.

We also agreed that we want to start banging the bigger marketing drum within
the KDE community and without. For this purpose, we want to identify the major
issues to new user experience.

To clarify: This is not about issues or our pet peeves, it is about things
that are BLOCKERS for end user perception. So we're talking about things that
would make someone immediately stop using KDE PIM and never come back.

Submission to that list is open until *2013-03-10* to kde-pim at kde.org.

Anything sent elsewhere or after that date will *not* make it to the list.

The list will then be triaged for things that are

	BLOCKER:	  	  Data loss, fundamentally broken
	MAJOR:		  Extremely annoying, but not causing irreparable damage
	NORMAL:		  Must be fixed as soon as possible
	MINOR:		  Nuisance, but not really broken
	IMPROVEMENT:  A better way of doing this

Then for everything that is classified as MAJOR or BLOCKER, we will then make a
call between

	(a) FIXING it
	(b) DISABLING it by default until fixed
	(c) WORKING AROUND it for now, until it can be fixed

with *KDE 4.10.2* as our target.

For example: Loading very large IMAP accounts on older hardware can take a
substantial amount of time where the machine uses large amounts of CPU as it
is downloading and caching the data. During that period the machine is slow,
and Kontact is essentially not responsive to user input, nor does it show data
sensibly.

FIXING it might mean to have resource usage limited and ensure that user
interactive requests, e.g. looking at a folder, take priority over the
background synchronization so the feedback & application impression is
immediate even though it may be incomplete as long as the background process
is till ongoing.

DISABLING it might mean disabling offline IMAP by default.

WORKING AROUND it might mean to not display the main UI, but show a window
saying "Please wait while we synchronize & index your data. This process may
take a while. <12132438> mails synchronized." (with the number spinning up
quickly)

Once we have the list of issues that are deemed MAJOR or BLOCKER for user
impression, and their individual resolution, these become our HIGH PRIORITY
TARGETS for all of KDE PIM along with other MAJOR (or above) issues.

Most important (insert VERY stern face of Kevin Ottens here):

	THIS LIST WILL *NOT* BE ADDED TO!

	AND *NO FEATURES WILL BE ADDED* UNTIL THE LIST IS DONE!

When the list is done, and the 4.10.2 release is out, we will work with the
larger KDE community to bang the marketing drum, as well as encourage people
to switch (back) to KDE PIM.

Thus unanimously adopted at the KDE PIM sprint in Berlin that was Osnabrück.

So, everyone, please think which are the parts that utterly destroy user
experience to the point of making KDE PIM marketing impossible and then send
them.

But please ensure to do so by SUNDAY NEXT WEEK, 10 March 2013.

Because submissions afterwards will NOT be accepted.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve
Chief Executive Officer

Kolab Systems AG				Wondering whether Kolab is for you?
Zürich, Switzerland				Find out at http://kolabsys.com/try

e: greve at kolabsys.com
t: +41 78 904 43 33
w: http://kolabsys.com