[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Mar 7 08:01:43 GMT 2013

On Monday, 2013-03-04, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 3. März 2013, 19:13:57 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > > - do not store any kind of configuration in the cache
> >
> > Actually there is no config in the cache.
>
> Indeed, let me re-phrase it:
>
> - do not store cache and config in the same DB
> - even better: do not store configs in a DB but in a config file

Right, I think this is what we do already.

> I was sticking to the common notion that akonadi's DB is just a cache.

Which, as Volker has pointed out twice in this thread, is a common
misconception. A classic "has a" versus "is a" confusion.

> Alternatively to the above notion there is of course a second common notion
> which scares away users: akonadi stores email data in the DB.

Yeah, also a common misunderstanding, probably caused by the fact that
groupware servers are a somewhat related technology and some of them indeed
use a database to store all objects.

Nothing can be done about that, just like some people still believing that Qt
is non-free software or that KDE applications magically depend on KDE
workspace even if all facts, e.g. distribution package dependencies, tell the
opposite.

> If users pick notion 1, they expect the DB to be removable without any
> side- effects but the cache gone, like in a browser.

Right. Obviously if assumptions that are not based on facts will lead to wrong
conclusions. Which is why it is important to counter any such occurence
whenever one can. Like us long time KDE user supporters immediately have to
jump in if someone less experiences suggests removing .kde

They might truefully believe that this is a viable frist option, so people who
know more about the situation need to emphasis that it is more a "last resort"
type of action.

> If users pick notion 2, they probably do not like akonadi anyway (it's like
> regedit) and if they do they won't just purge the DB.

Nothing can be done about that, just like we can't do anything about people
who do not like needing X11, or needing Qt, or linking KDE libraries.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring