[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Mar 5 08:45:34 GMT 2013

On Tuesday 05 March 2013 10:38:26 Andras Mantia wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > This is, however, unrelated to the cache functionality. Clearing the cache
> > does not remove any collections or items, only cached item data.
> > Thus clearing the cache will not result in change of collection ids.
>
> There is a confusion here. Wolfgand and Sven talks about the *whole* akonadi
> database when they refer to cache, while you talk about the part cache (a
> subset of the database).
> Both of you are right, we use the term cache for both. :)
>
> So clearing the part cache has normally no sideeffects, while removing the
> whole db and creating it again makes the stored collection ids invalid.

That also needs to be clarified: removing *not* *dirty* parts from the cache
is safe. Keep in mind that unlike some of the other examples mentioned in this
thread (thumbnails, web cache, etc) the Akonadi cache is not read-only, it
contains modifications not yet written to the corresponding backends.

This does of course not mean that recovering from a fully cleaned cache will
be fast, the whole thing is optimized for e.g. envelope parts to always be
cached.

regards,
Volker