[Kde-pim] does akonadi "Kolab" resource need a kolab server?

Norbert Zawodsky norbert at zawodsky.at
Mon Jan 28 16:25:41 GMT 2013

Hello Christian,

Am 27.01.2013 01:37, schrieb Christian Mollekopf:
> On Saturday 26 January 2013 23.57:12 Norbert Zawodsky wrote:
>> Hello everybody!
>>
> Hey Norbert,
>
>> after upgrading first to KDE 4.9.5 and then to 4.10 beta I decided to
>> give Kontact another try.
>> (for email I've used thunderbird for the last years but I missed a PIM
>> suite very much)
>>
>> All my emails are stored on a cyrus IMAP server so it was very easy to
>> "try" kmail.
>>
>> When setting things up, I discovered that Kolab-Imap resource. Setup
>> went quick on my first comuter. That resource creatred the Kolab-Folders
>> on my Imap server and Contacts and Calendar immediately worked at my
>> office PC.
>>
>> Now, I'd like my PC at home to connect to my IMAP server at the office.
>> The akonadi IMAP-server resource runs (nearly) perfect. Access to my
>> emails works.
>> But I've been trying for 3 days now to setup the Kolab-resource without
>> any sucess.
>>
>> Now I wonder, do I need to setup a "complete" Kolab server at the office
>> or should it be enough just to have the cyrus imap server running ????
>>
> That should  work. The Kolab-Resource simply interprets the IMAP-Objects in
> your IMAP resource and extracts contacts/events etc...
> The only thing that is required from your IMAP server, is either IMAP METADATA
> or ANNOTATEMORE, which cyrus should provide (it's the official Kolab IMAP
> server).
>
> PS: Generally we have kdepim-users at kde.org and kolab-users at kolab.org for user
> related questions, this is a developer list.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian

Thank you for your answer.
So it should work. I will check and try again.
If I still cannot get it working, I will get back to kdepim-users (see
PS below)

cheers,
NOrbert

PS: I tried to subscribe kdepim-users but got the answer that I was
already subscribed.
But as I _never_ received any postings from kdepim-users, I thought it
was a "dead" list with no traffic.
And then, it is not possible to visit/read/search the kdepim-users
Archives too.

But when I investigated further into this, I saw that just the mail
delivery from the list to my email adress was disabled.
(I don't know why).