[Kde-pim] does akonadi "Kolab" resource need a kolab server?

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Sun Jan 27 00:37:21 GMT 2013

On Saturday 26 January 2013 23.57:12 Norbert Zawodsky wrote:
> Hello everybody!

Hey Norbert,

> after upgrading first to KDE 4.9.5 and then to 4.10 beta I decided to
> give Kontact another try.
> (for email I've used thunderbird for the last years but I missed a PIM
> suite very much)
>
> All my emails are stored on a cyrus IMAP server so it was very easy to
> "try" kmail.
>
> When setting things up, I discovered that Kolab-Imap resource. Setup
> went quick on my first comuter. That resource creatred the Kolab-Folders
> on my Imap server and Contacts and Calendar immediately worked at my
> office PC.
>
> Now, I'd like my PC at home to connect to my IMAP server at the office.
> The akonadi IMAP-server resource runs (nearly) perfect. Access to my
> emails works.
> But I've been trying for 3 days now to setup the Kolab-resource without
> any sucess.
>
> Now I wonder, do I need to setup a "complete" Kolab server at the office
> or should it be enough just to have the cyrus imap server running ????

That should  work. The Kolab-Resource simply interprets the IMAP-Objects in
your IMAP resource and extracts contacts/events etc...
The only thing that is required from your IMAP server, is either IMAP METADATA
or ANNOTATEMORE, which cyrus should provide (it's the official Kolab IMAP
server).

PS: Generally we have kdepim-users at kde.org and kolab-users at kolab.org for user
related questions, this is a developer list.

Cheers,
Christian