[Kde-pim] switching distributions, but keeping KDE... how do i migrate my email?

Peter Humphrey peter at humphrey.ukfsn.org
Sat Jan 12 00:34:16 GMT 2013

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:02:01 +0100
Martin Steigerwald <Martin at lichtvoll.de> wrote:

--->8

> The newer system has the older KMail.
>
> Which can import folders. But not complete directory structures AFAIK.

Yes, it can import a complete mail tree if it's in its own format.

> It might also [be] possible to import filters.

It is. Open the Filters menu and click Import. Navigate to the kmailrc
file and import from there. You'll get the complete set of filters,
together with several other things that I can't think of at the moment.

> I am not sure whether its a good idea to try the old KMail with the
> configuration file of the new one directly tough.

Don't even think of it. It must be a recipe for disaster, surely?

> And I think nothing of this is officially supported.

I think what I've described must be official as it's in the standard
menus.

> Once KDEPIM 2 there is IMHO no officially supported way to go back to
> KMail from KDEPIM 1.

So I've had to switch to another client, kmail2 having completely
wrecked my e-mail system.

--
Peter.