[Kde-pim] switching distributions, but keeping KDE... how do i migrate my email?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Jan 12 11:21:26 GMT 2013

Am Samstag, 12. Januar 2013 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Samstag, 12. Januar 2013 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
> > > And I think nothing of this is officially supported.
> >
> > I think what I've described must be official as it's in the standard
> > menus.
>
> Given that KDEPIM 1 is supported by KDE project at all.
>
> From what I gathered it isn´t supported anymore. Except for possibly a
> enterprise branch of it… Try to report a bug with KDEPIM 1. I bet most
> likely reaction will be closing it cause not supported anymore. Well if
> you use Debian you an report a bug with Debian, cause Debian maintainers
> decided to use and support KDEPIM 1 for Wheezy.
>
> My bet is that almost no one of the KDEPIM developers ever tried and
> tested to downgrade KDEPIM 2 data to KDEPIM 1. I think I read about Anne
> Wilson doing this, but thats about it.
>
> So officially supported or not, I bet you are mostly on your own with
> this. And that is what I wanted to express.
>
> Just look at this thread. The amount of responses with clear instructions
> "You can do it this way" wasn´t exactly overwhelming.

That said, Salamandir, if you still have config and ".index" files of old
KMail from KDEPIM 1 - cause you never deleted them from an old migration
attempt KDEPIM 1 => 2 -, it would be sufficient to copy them over and just run
old KMail.

You will loose all new metadata thats not stored in the maildir by KMail.
And well if you changed some filter rules in KMail 2, you have to redo those
changes an KMail 1. But thats about it.

This case is of course no "downgrading" of KDEPIM data, but just using the
old KDEPIM 1 data if it is still there.