[Kde-pim] switching distributions, but keeping KDE... how do i migrate my email?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Jan 13 00:06:29 GMT 2013

Am Samstag, 12. Januar 2013 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:02:04 +0100
> Martin Steigerwald <Martin at lichtvoll.de> wrote:
[…]
> > Does that mean that you did these steps and it worked?
>
> Kmail2 has completely destroyed my kmail data structure, so I created a
> new user and used a fresh installation of kmail2 ("emerge -e kmail" -
> this is a Gentoo box) to import my kmail1 emails and filters from a
> recent backup. The mess was less awful than before, but kmail2 was
> still unusable (fetching some e-mails many times, even when they're
> already held locally; ignoring some messages on the POP3 server and
> leaving them there; refusing to filter loads of messages, even when
> they're in the same mailing list; and when I move those messages to
> where they belong, it moves them silently back again; that will do for
> now).
>
> I had previously used a fresh installation of kmail1 to import data
> from backups, and that worked well, filters and all.
>
> If a function is in a program's menus, it ought to work, no?

Well, if KMail 1 has a function to import a KMail 1 maildir structure, there
is no guarentee it will work with a KMail 2 maildir structure. Although I
believe there aren´t significant differences.

> > ... So no need to be picky at me for trying to help by trying to
> > remember what might be possible.
>
> I'm sorry if you thought I was getting at you; I wasn't. I thought I was
> just supplying further information in a spirit of helpfulness.

Sorry for misunderstanding you. Forgiven and forgotten :)

> > Did you miss anything important after the downgrade?
>
> I haven't downgraded, just switched to a different client. I'm
> considering blocking kmail2 and reinstalling the old version. That will
> take nerve though, so I'll sleep on it a few more times.

From what I understood Salamandir wanted to use KMail 2 data in an KMail 1
client. Thats a downgrade for me.

If the old KMail 1 configuration and index files are still there, then I would
just use them tough.

Anyway, I think we gave the original poster some ideas.