[Kde-pim] Did we reintroduce some performance issues with KDE 4.10?

Jos Poortvliet jos at opensuse.org
Tue Feb 5 15:52:17 GMT 2013

On Monday, February 04, 2013 18:17:43 Shaheed Haque wrote:
> Can I also suggest that we try to ensure the user's expectations are
> managed in terms of "what happens if I kill the cleaner and restart
> it" and other such scenarios.

Yeah, right now the cleaner is - well, new, and very basic. It gives near to
no information on its purpose and what the user can expect, nor on what
happens if you abort it (I think it restarts but the steps already finished
are done much quicker so it's not a big deal).

I think it makes most sense to tackle these for the 4.11 release - until then,
this is a stop-gap measure for people who experience issues with a slow
Nepomuk.

I still can't get over how big the difference is, btw. I've considered the
cool "search for: documents/images/videos/Audiofiles" thing in Dolphin a mere
gimmick for systems with very little data on them, for example, because
neither my laptop nor my desktop were capable of showing results in any
reasonable time frame. Right now, I've started using these: plenty fast, even
with the many thousands of results in each folder on my desktop. LOVE IT.

I haven't experimented with the search functionality in Dolphin yet but the
alt-F2 krunner has become more bearable (still, if you have more than 10
results, it is kind'a pointless. Somehow a 'show results in dolphin' kind of
button is dearly needed). For me, personally, Nepomuk cleaner was what was
needed to make Nepomuk useful.

> (I've written such tools before, and if my experience can hel pdraft
> some wording, please feel free to rope me in).
>
> And yes, a pointer to what major distros like Fedora/Ubuntu/Suse mine
> might have called this binary would be useful indeed :-)
openSUSE is close to RC and I think all I'll be able to do is talk this tool
up and warn users about it, but if Vishesh comes to trying to fix it up in
relatively short order, who knows what patches can be shipped by openSUSE,
Kubuntu and other distro's as part of their upcoming releases ;-)

Hugs,
Jos