[Kde-pim] Did we reintroduce some performance issues with KDE 4.10?

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Feb 5 13:56:41 GMT 2013

Hey Del

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Del <delonly at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the last option (starting fresh with Nepomuk) would be the
> preferred
> option in the majority of cases, as I assume few people put anyting but the
> automatic indexing in Nepomuk today (this will hopefully change once
> Nepomuk
> matures). Moreover, I guess re-genereating index from scratch will be much
> faster than using the nepomukcleaner. Especially due to the improvements
> Vishesh made to Nepomuk for 4.10. Maybe you can shed some light on this
> Vishesh, how long do you think it would take on your set-up to delete
> Nepomuk
> data, and then run the indexing from scratch (of course with the draw-back
> of
> losing any data in Nepomuk  that is not produced by the automatic
> indexing)?

Starting fresh is always an easier option. In fact in my case it would have
been a lot simpler for me to just clear my Nepomuk database, and let the
emails get indexed again. I specifically didn't do that cause - a.) I had
some valuable data stored as tags + notes which I did not want to loose and
b.) It's good for me, as a developer, to have legacy data, so that I
encounter the same issues as others.

As for indexing the data from scratch, based on the current tests in
kdepim-runtime/agents/nepomukfeeder, on a fresh db, it takes about 400msec
on average to index one email. So, if you have about 100,000 emails, that
would be about 11.1 hours.

Also, the quality of the data on a fresh start would be a LOT better.
Specially if you have data from pre 4.7 times.

--
Vishesh Handa