[Kde-pim] Did we reintroduce some performance issues with KDE 4.10?

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Feb 5 16:02:20 GMT 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jos at opensuse.org> wrote:

> I still can't get over how big the difference is, btw. I've considered the
> cool "search for: documents/images/videos/Audiofiles" thing in Dolphin a
> mere
> gimmick for systems with very little data on them, for example, because
> neither my laptop nor my desktop were capable of showing results in any
> reasonable time frame. Right now, I've started using these: plenty fast,
> even
> with the many thousands of results in each folder on my desktop. LOVE IT.

To be fair. This has nothing to do with the cleaner. It's the result of
massive optimizations on the kioslaves. Also, there have been many
improvements in the nepomuk storage service and Soprano.

Also, if you want to do some specialized searches, please read -
http://userbase.kde.org/Nepomuk/kioslaves/search

I haven't experimented with the search functionality in Dolphin yet but the
> alt-F2 krunner has become more bearable (still, if you have more than 10
> results, it is kind'a pointless. Somehow a 'show results in dolphin' kind
> of
> button is dearly needed).

The Krunner results are going to be a LOT slower than in comparison the
Dolphin or kioslaves. The main reason is that krunner shows all kinds of
results. Dolphin/kioslaves only show results which have URLs (This includes
emails btw).

> For me, personally, Nepomuk cleaner was what was
> needed to make Nepomuk useful.
>
> > (I've written such tools before, and if my experience can hel pdraft
> > some wording, please feel free to rope me in).
> >
> > And yes, a pointer to what major distros like Fedora/Ubuntu/Suse mine
> > might have called this binary would be useful indeed :-)
> openSUSE is close to RC and I think all I'll be able to do is talk this
> tool
> up and warn users about it, but if Vishesh comes to trying to fix it up in
> relatively short order, who knows what patches can be shipped by openSUSE,
> Kubuntu and other distro's as part of their upcoming releases ;-)

I can add a progress bar in KDE/4.10. But the real changes [1] would break
string freeze. Plus, this cleaner was/is more of an experiment in seeing if
this is a good idea.

[1] http://community.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk/4.11#Cleaner_GUI

> Hugs,
> Jos