[Kde-pim] Favourites and Advanced Folders Links wrong after deleting akonadi db

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 22:43:50 GMT 2013

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:31:30 PM Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Yes. This was reported already but not seen as valid. You simply must not
> delete your db without deleting everything else.

Ok, thanks. And what a PITA - deleting the DB is still a common response to
akonadi problems.

> Back then I suggested to not rely on "unique" numbers, i.e. 1,2,3,4...
> within  the akonadi db but create real unique numbers or at least save a
> unique number in the config and db and check whether they match when
> starting akonadi. this would allow to prevent this kind of trouble and even
> data loss, e.g. because messages are moved to some folder, e.g. the trash.
>
> But this was not seen as reasonable and thus the issue still exists.

I agree with you. I remember the original problem and the fix did not really
fix it, just moved the issue to a different area.

Its accepted knowledge and mentioned on the wiki that the akonadi db is just a
cache and deleting it will not harm your email data. This is simply not true
and needs to be stated clearly. Deleting the akonadi cache can severely mess
up your email data if you have filtering rules setup.

Additionally I had outgoing mails from my work account disappearing into the
ether (not received) until I fixed up my "Sent Mail" folder. I'm not sure why
that was.

--
Lindsay Mathieson