[Kde-pim] Favourites and Advanced Folders Links wrong after deleting akonadi db

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sun Feb 17 10:05:41 GMT 2013

Am Sonntag, 17. Februar 2013, 08:43:50 schrieb Lindsay Mathieson:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:31:30 PM Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > Yes. This was reported already but not seen as valid. You simply must not
> > delete your db without deleting everything else.
>
> Ok, thanks. And what a PITA - deleting the DB is still a common response to
> akonadi problems.

Yes, especially since akonadi was advertised as cache, i.e. you do not lose
anything valuable if the db gets corrupted.

> > Back then I suggested to not rely on "unique" numbers, i.e. 1,2,3,4...
> > within  the akonadi db but create real unique numbers or at least save a
> > unique number in the config and db and check whether they match when
> > starting akonadi. this would allow to prevent this kind of trouble and
> > even
> > data loss, e.g. because messages are moved to some folder, e.g. the trash.
> >
> > But this was not seen as reasonable and thus the issue still exists.
>
> I agree with you. I remember the original problem and the fix did not really
> fix it, just moved the issue to a different area.
>
> Its accepted knowledge and mentioned on the wiki that the akonadi db is just
> a cache and deleting it will not harm your email data. This is simply not
> true and needs to be stated clearly. Deleting the akonadi cache can
> severely mess up your email data if you have filtering rules setup.

Yes. I argued for quite a while but the person in charge did not see these
issues as valid because akonadi does use unique IDs according to his
understanding. The fact that it obviously fails when used in reality, which it
would not do with real unique IDs, did not convince/bother him.

Hence at some point I just acknowledged that he does not want to understand
why his definition of unique is not unique outside the db and thus causes
trouble. In fact it's not even unique within the whole akonadi framework which
includes configs etc. IMHO the whole logic of using 1,2,3,4 as unique numbers
is far too fragile and thus designed to fail.

But since he put a lot of effort into not wanting to understand the issue and
arguing against it, the fix must be really complicated and thus avoided.
Apparently it is not as simple as creating a real unique number and storing it
in the config/agents and the db in order to compare them while akonadi starts-
up.

Sven