[Kde-pim] Did we reintroduce some performance issues with KDE 4.10?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Feb 6 20:03:43 GMT 2013

Am Dienstag, 5. Februar 2013 schrieb Vishesh Handa:
> Hey Del
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Del <delonly at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think the last option (starting fresh with Nepomuk) would be the
> > preferred
> > option in the majority of cases, as I assume few people put anyting but
> > the automatic indexing in Nepomuk today (this will hopefully change
> > once Nepomuk
> > matures). Moreover, I guess re-genereating index from scratch will be
> > much faster than using the nepomukcleaner. Especially due to the
> > improvements Vishesh made to Nepomuk for 4.10. Maybe you can shed some
> > light on this Vishesh, how long do you think it would take on your
> > set-up to delete Nepomuk
> > data, and then run the indexing from scratch (of course with the
> > draw-back of
> > losing any data in Nepomuk  that is not produced by the automatic
> > indexing)?
>
> Starting fresh is always an easier option. In fact in my case it would
> have been a lot simpler for me to just clear my Nepomuk database, and
> let the emails get indexed again. I specifically didn't do that cause -
> a.) I had some valuable data stored as tags + notes which I did not want
> to loose and b.) It's good for me, as a developer, to have legacy data,
> so that I encounter the same issues as others.
>
> As for indexing the data from scratch, based on the current tests in
> kdepim-runtime/agents/nepomukfeeder, on a fresh db, it takes about
> 400msec on average to index one email. So, if you have about 100,000
> emails, that would be about 11.1 hours.
>
> Also, the quality of the data on a fresh start would be a LOT better.
> Specially if you have data from pre 4.7 times.

I redid the Nepomuk database with KDE SC 4.9.5. I think I will redo it one
last time with KDE SC 4.10 once its available as Debian packages and then
try to use it and put own data into it.

My question: Is there are way to improve the quality of data without
deleting the database to let Nepomuk re-index everything?

I think I´d like the following for upgrades:

1) Nepomuk offers the user to clean out old data.

2) Nepomuk offers the user to re-index data without discarding the database,
thus adding whats not yet in there (and possibly if not feasible with the
cleaner replacing old stale data on an item by item base).

Is this something which can work out in the future?

I think it makes sense that at some point resolving Nepomuk issues by
deleting the database is a thing of the past. I had this with Digikam and
Amarok sometimes as well, but for a database where a user stores own hand
crafted data as well it absolutely makes sense to make is easy for the user
to keep it.

Ciao,