[Kde-pim] Kontact Touch GSOC Project - mentor needed

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Apr 22 21:35:01 BST 2013

On Monday, April 22, 2013 16:34:44 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2013-04-22, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Thursday, April 18, 2013 16:28:45 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > Redoing the entire Kmail Touch UI in QML would definitely be too big a
> > > scope for a GSoC project. What I want to have in the end is something
> > > which shows the path ahead and can be built upon.
> >
> > On that note, I think it would be best to do the GSoC as small mergable
> > steps, that can go in one for one. As most of the code is already done in
> > QML, a ton of small patches that go into master one for one would probably
> > be nicer than to create one big branch that has to be merged at some scary
> > point in time.
> >
> > This is of course mostly up to Kevin, I guess, as he'll likely be
> > reviewing
> > most of the code, I just wanted to chime in in case it hasn't been thought
> > of.
>
> The problem with that approach usually is that master gets frozen during
> the  GSoC period.
> While we could probably make an exception for code that goes into
> kdepim/mobile (I don't think we official release that), some changes could
> affect even kdepimlibs and we certainly don't want to risk master branch
> there.
>
> Suggestions welcome though

Idea: The "go in" doesn't have to be master, while master is frozen, the
patches could get "reviewed into" another branch, which gets merged whenever
master is unfrozen.

The reason why I propose this is because I think it could become quite the
monster project, that will take very long to stabilize and achieve feature
parity again. A "kernel style" development process usually prevents that from
happening quite effectively.

sebas