[Kde-pim] Kontact Touch GSOC Project - mentor needed

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Apr 11 09:19:19 BST 2013

On Wednesday, 2013-04-10, Michael Bohlender wrote:
> Hello Plasma Active and KDE PIM folks,
>
> I finished my GSOC Proposal for a UI/UX rework of Kontact Touch Mail today
> and would like to get a final round of feedback.
> I could not find any KDE PIM Projects (besides Trojita) on the Ideas page.
> Are you not participating? I hope you are and I hope I can find a mentor.
>
> So here is my proposal:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mq7bX6y5VaRO-AcO1Q0fEMUOgswyMUsM0Wl9__x
> gCgo/edit?usp=sharing
>
> For the technical parts: I am sure I mean the right thing but I am not sure
> about the wording. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Looks ok, but I am not sure how useful development against a dummy QML model
would be.

That will most likely only work for rough prototyping, learning to use Plasma
Components and so on, but I think any real improvement can only be tested and
validated if it works with the actual data models accessing actual data.

E.g. standard Qt Quick (no idea about Plasma Components) is seriously limited
when it comes to usage of Qt item models (no support for table models, yet
alone tree models), so often extra effort is needed to overcome those.

Any input from the original Kontact Touch developers?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring