[Kde-pim] Kontact Touch GSOC Project - mentor needed

Michael Bohlender michael.bohlender at kdemail.net
Thu Apr 11 12:55:27 BST 2013

> > I finished my GSOC Proposal for a UI/UX rework of Kontact Touch Mail
> today
> > and would like to get a final round of feedback.
> >
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mq7bX6y5VaRO-AcO1Q0fEMUOgswyMUsM0Wl9__x
> > gCgo/edit?usp=sharing
> >
> > For the technical parts: I am sure I mean the right thing but I am not
> sure
> > about the wording. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Looks ok, but I am not sure how useful development against a dummy QML
> model
> would be.

Just "ok" is not good enough for me. So lets see what I can improve.
Is the project idea itself not exciting enough for you or is this just
about the technical approach?

> That will most likely only work for rough prototyping, learning to use
> Plasma
> Components and so on,

I did some minor things for PA with PlasmaComponets already and feel
relatively comfortable using it.
The reason I suggested this approach is, that it allows me to got through a
lot of design ideas with my Co Mentor.
Otherwise testing if the UI works on Tablet will be hard and I have no Idea
how to compile stuff for my ARM based Nexus 7.
Waiting for our merproject build servers to compile stuff would also be
quiet time consuming.
I consider the UX design/rework the main part of my project and like to
experiment a lot during the mockup phase.

but I think any real improvement can only be tested and
> validated if it works with the actual data models accessing actual data.

+1
an application that just displays dummy data is not of much use.

> E.g. standard Qt Quick (no idea about Plasma Components) is seriously
> limited
> when it comes to usage of Qt item models (no support for table models, yet
> alone tree models), so often extra effort is needed to overcome those.

I asked on active at kde.org a while ago and was told that this approach is
used "fairly often" in plasma active.
But maybe I got it wrong or this just does not work well for KDE PIM
related things?
If someone suggests a more sensible approach I have no problem with
adapting it.

Any input from the original Kontact Touch developers?

+1