[Kde-pim] akonadi and continual disk activity

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Nov 16 19:55:39 GMT 2012

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Andras Mantia said the following at 11/16/2012 10:23 AM :
>> D. R. Evans wrote:

>>> How do I discover which process is responsible?
>>>
>>> There are two remote calendars, and about 3,000 contacts in the address
>>> book, which doesn't seem like it should take very long at all to
>>> incorporate into any kind of PIM system. Minutes of minor activity
>>> perhaps, but not hours of continual thrashing.
>>
>> Well, top, iotop, turn off nepomuk, turn off individual akonadi agents.
>>

> I'm sorry ... I'm just an increasingly frustrated user trying to get back
> to having a usable PIM.

On a developer list I expect some knowledge about the system. :)

> What is an "akonadi agent" and how would I turn
> them off individually?

Agent == the application actually gathering the data. The interface towards
your real data. E.g the POP3 agent (resource) downloads the mail from a POP3
server, the IMAP agent from an IMAP server, the Nepomuk Feeder agent indexes
the downloaded mails for searching, the various calendar/addressbook agents
deal with the respective data. All of them are in separate process. In top
they show up as akonadi_XXX_agent or akonadi_XXX_resource .

> I'm truly sorry, but I didn't expect to need to know any of this stuff
> just to maintain calendars and contacts, so please walk me carefully
> through *exactly* what I need to do in order to provide some more useful
> information.
>
> FWIW, I just truned akonadi back on. Instantly the hard drive started
> thrashing, and the top five I/O processes are all mysqld processes that
> have "akonadi" in their parameter strings.

When you see the problem try to:
- run top and see what process is busy
- run iotop and see what process is causing high IO
- run akonadiconsole, go onto the Agent tab and turn off (Toggle them
offline) agents one-by-one and check if the problem goes away. Do not remove
them, unless you are ready to add them back again
- go to system settings and turn off the semantic desktop search (nepomuk)

See what helps from the above.

Andras