[Kde-pim] akonadi and continual disk activity

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 22:12:19 GMT 2012

Andras Mantia said the following at 11/16/2012 12:55 PM :

> Agent == the application actually gathering the data. The interface towards
> your real data. E.g the POP3 agent (resource) downloads the mail from a POP3
> server, the IMAP agent from an IMAP server, the Nepomuk Feeder agent indexes
> the downloaded mails for searching, the various calendar/addressbook agents
> deal with the respective data. All of them are in separate process. In top
> they show up as akonadi_XXX_agent or akonadi_XXX_resource .

FWIW: of those, the only facility I am using from that list is
calendar/addressbook.

>> FWIW, I just truned akonadi back on. Instantly the hard drive started
>> thrashing, and the top five I/O processes are all mysqld processes that
>> have "akonadi" in their parameter strings.
>
> When you see the problem try to:
> - run top and see what process is busy

None of them take anything except a negligible amount of CPU.

> - run iotop and see what process is causing high IO

Four processes, all of which appear to be essentially identical except for the
PID, are performing disk I/O. All the activity seems to be disk writes, and
all four processes look like this:

mysqld --defaults-file=/home/n7dr/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf
--datadir=/home/n7dr/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/
--socket=/home/n7dr/.local/share/akonadi/socket-homebrew/mysql.socket

In addition, the following process is performing disk writes at about the same
rate as the four mysqld processes:

kdeinit4: kio_file [kdeinit] file
local:/tmp/ksocket-n7dr/klauncherhX2344.slave-socket
local:/tmp/ksocket-n7dr/AkonadiAgentServernS2814.slave-socket

There are two other mysqld processes that look the same as the four that are
performing disk writes, but these other two aren't doing very much at all.

> - run akonadiconsole, go onto the Agent tab and turn off (Toggle them
> offline) agents one-by-one and check if the problem goes away. Do not remove
> them, unless you are ready to add them back again

Interesting .. that lists seven agents, the first six of which just say
"Ready", which I assume means that they aren't doing anything. The detailed
status says "online, idle" for each one of these.

The seventh is "Akonadi Nepomuk Feeder", which says "System busy, indexing
suspended"

Toggling all of them offline made no obvious difference to the disk activity.
The mysqld processes continue to write heavily to the disk.

> - go to system settings and turn off the semantic desktop search (nepomuk)

I turned that off long ago, since my experience was that it never seemed to
provide sensible results when searched :-(

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR