[Kde-pim] Unusual compile issue (Windows) Akonadi 1.8.1

Stuart Dickson stuart.dickson at kogmbh.com
Mon Nov 5 18:19:16 GMT 2012

Hi,

Normally I'd ask the kde-windows crew, but it looks like it should be
affecting the other builds, I thought I'd fire a question on here.

In akonadi's CMakeLists.txt file, there are two definitions:
QT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII
QT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII

Which prevent us from converting from the #define'd character array
strings, to QString in the file notes/noteutils.cpp
It also has an impact on the ability to convert between a few other
related datatypes.
(there is a short-term pastebin of the error here:
http://paste.kde.org/597308/ )

I have been able to correct this by wrapping these macros in
QLatin1String(...) as well as some fixing of the ByteArray->QString/QUrl
conversion later, but wanted to speak to someone first before commiting,
to have a better understand of what was going on (mainly because, with
the NO_CAST macros, I would not have expected these to build in Linux
either).

I'm happy to provide the patch for review, if it would be useful,
otherwise we could keep it local to kde-windows (though my preference
would be to incorporate these changes into akonadi).
Possibly there is a more recent version of 1.8.x which resolves this
problem?

Best regards
Stuart