[Kde-pim] Unusual compile issue (Windows) Akonadi 1.8.1

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Nov 6 21:04:47 GMT 2012

Hi,

On Monday, 2012-11-05, Stuart Dickson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Normally I'd ask the kde-windows crew, but it looks like it should be
> affecting the other builds, I thought I'd fire a question on here.
>
> In akonadi's CMakeLists.txt file, there are two definitions:
> QT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII
> QT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII
>
> Which prevent us from converting from the #define'd character array
> strings, to QString in the file notes/noteutils.cpp
> It also has an impact on the ability to convert between a few other
> related datatypes.
> (there is a short-term pastebin of the error here:
> http://paste.kde.org/597308/ )

There is no spoon^Wpaste

> I have been able to correct this by wrapping these macros in
> QLatin1String(...) as well as some fixing of the ByteArray->QString/QUrl
> conversion later, but wanted to speak to someone first before commiting,
> to have a better understand of what was going on (mainly because, with
> the NO_CAST macros, I would not have expected these to build in Linux
> either).

This is my understanding as well, i.e. that it should not have built on Linux
either. Are the marcos defined in some platform specific place?

> I'm happy to provide the patch for review, if it would be useful,
> otherwise we could keep it local to kde-windows (though my preference
> would be to incorporate these changes into akonadi).

Definitely incorporate, but we really need to find out why this does not run
into the version problems on non-Windows.

> Possibly there is a more recent version of 1.8.x which resolves this
> problem?

1.8.1 is the most recent release.

KDE user support, developer mentoring