[Kde-pim] Progress restoring contacts, but now stuck

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 21:06:31 GMT 2012

After letting a recursive grep run for a couple of hours, I discovered that
what seems to be all the contact information from my old, back-up file
hierarchy was stored in vcard format inside the binary file:
  backup/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/akonadi/parttable.ibd

So I extracted all the vcard data from that file into one big new
human-readable vcf file.

Then I imported that file into the new, pristine kontact.

So far, so good. The contacts are all in there, but they are all contained in
a single address book.

The individual vcard records that were imported contain nice CATEGORY records,
which identify the original address book in which each vcard was located.

So what I'd like to do now is to create a bunch of new address books inside
kontact (for example, "Personal", "Friends", etc, where each of the names
corresponds to one of the categories in the vcards; and then I want to move
all the contacts that match a particular category into the corresponding
address book.

But I'm stick on two fronts:

1. It seems silly, but I can't figure out how to create a brand-new address
book in kontact. Whatever I do, it seems to want to use some pre-existing one.
The help (at least the help I could find) seemed to be utterly silent about
the process of creating a new address book.

2. The category information in the vcards doesn't seem to be displayed
anywhere. For example, I can't figure out how to filter on the loaded address
book so that only those entries with (say) category "Family" are displayed.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR