[Kde-pim] How to recover PIM information?

Dan Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 17:01:11 GMT 2012

On Wednesday 07 of November 2012 09:21:08 D. R. Evans wrote:
> I tried asking this on the Kubuntu reflector, but did not receive any advice
> that turned out to be useful. One person did point me here, though.
>
> ----
>
> Because of a series of bad things happening, I am in the following
> situation:
>
> I have a new installation of Kubuntu 12.10. In particular, all the PIM
> information (kontact, calendars, etc.) is unpopulated. I also have a backup
> of my home directory hierarchy from a 12.04 disk that failed subsequent to
> the backup. This backup contains (somewhere) all my PIM information -- in
> particular all my contacts (in multiple address books) and also my
> calendars.
>
> So my question is: how do I find and then import the PIM information from
> the backup disk so that I can use it on the 12.10 system?
>
> To try to avoid confusion, here is another way to describe the situation: I
> have a functioning 12.10 system with no PIM information. On this system I
> have a directory ~/home-backup/ that contains the complete hierarchy of a
> home directory from a system that contained my PIM information.
> How do I find and transfer the right files from the ~/home-backup/ hierarchy
> to the new ~ hierarchy so that the PIM information is available to the new
> system? I don't know the names of the files that held the various resources
> (and at least some of the calendars were remote), so the threshold issue is
> that I need to be able to find the *pointers* to the actual resources --
> which of course akonadi knew about on the old system and presumably are
> located in the guts of a database somewhere in the old hierarchy. Once I
> can read the pointers to where the actual resources (i.e., address books
> and calendars) are located, it should be easy to import them into the new
> system.

Hi,

vCard with your contacts is in ~/home-backup/.kde/share/apps/kabc/*.vcf
iCal with your events is in ~/home-backup/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/*.ics
(note: on some distribution the folder might be called .kde4)

I suggest you restore these files from ~/home-backup, copy them to respective
folders in ~/.kde/share/apps/{kabc,korganizer} and add them to Akonadi again
by adding new Addressbook a Calendar resources and selecting the files in
their configuration dialogs.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Dan

> I hope that makes sense.
>
>   Doc
>
> --
> Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR
dvratil at redhat.com | Associate Software Engineer / BaseOS / KDE, Qt
GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348