[Kde-pim] How to recover PIM information?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 16:21:08 GMT 2012

I tried asking this on the Kubuntu reflector, but did not receive any advice
that turned out to be useful. One person did point me here, though.

----

Because of a series of bad things happening, I am in the following situation:

I have a new installation of Kubuntu 12.10. In particular, all the PIM
information (kontact, calendars, etc.) is unpopulated. I also have a backup of
my home directory hierarchy from a 12.04 disk that failed subsequent to the
backup. This backup contains (somewhere) all my PIM information -- in
particular all my contacts (in multiple address books) and also my calendars.

So my question is: how do I find and then import the PIM information from the
backup disk so that I can use it on the 12.10 system?

To try to avoid confusion, here is another way to describe the situation: I
have a functioning 12.10 system with no PIM information. On this system I have
a directory ~/home-backup/ that contains the complete hierarchy of a home
directory from a system that contained my PIM information.
How do I find and transfer the right files from the ~/home-backup/ hierarchy
to the new ~ hierarchy so that the PIM information is available to the new
system? I don't know the names of the files that held the various resources
(and at least some of the calendars were remote), so the threshold issue is
that I need to be able to find the *pointers* to the actual resources -- which
of course akonadi knew about on the old system and presumably are located in
the guts of a database somewhere in the old hierarchy. Once I can read the
pointers to where the actual resources (i.e., address books and calendars) are
located, it should be easy to import them into the new system.

I hope that makes sense.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR