[Kde-pim] Thunderbird experiences

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Tue Mar 20 08:49:35 GMT 2012

On Tuesday 20 Mar 2012 09:15:00 Thomas Koch wrote:
> for my new Laptop I installed Icedove (Thunderbird) 8 instead of KMail.
> I wanted to try sth else after 4+ actually satisfactory years with KMail.
>
> So maybe you like some experiences?

Thanks, these are valuable.

> - Thunderbird only downloads messages when I enter the folder. The "Get
> Mail" method seems to work only on the INBOX folder. A method to
> synchronize all folders is well hidden in the "offline" menu item.

Do you find this to be a positive or negative difference?  I keep thinking a
'deferred folder sync' for online imap policy would be useful for large
accounts.

> - The folder list only shows number of unread messages in a folder, but
> not total number.

KMail's UI could be improved here too.  If the columns for unread/total/size
are enabled, it's very hard to read the whole folder name, especially if the
folder tree is nested.

> The only thing that I liked about Thunderbird is that I can switch on
> and off the message body view with one keypress. In general KMail could
> be optimized to make better use of the screen. On a small screen I'd
> actually like to have individual full screen views of folders, message
> list and message body and the ability to quickly switch between those
> with a keypress.

I'd be interested to hear your usage/experience of KMail's mail search and
indexing functions too.

> Well. After all, I might remain with KMail in the end. Thunderbird might
> be nice for a casual email user but not if email is half your
> (professional) life.

Mozilla just released Thunderbird 11, so you might find some of the annoyances
have been fixed.

> Just please take care not to screw up my mails! Please!

+1

Will