[Kde-pim] Thunderbird experiences

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Tue Mar 20 08:15:00 GMT 2012

Hi,

for my new Laptop I installed Icedove (Thunderbird) 8 instead of KMail.
I wanted to try sth else after 4+ actually satisfactory years with KMail.

So maybe you like some experiences?

- There's no option in Thunderbird to select threading and ordering
globally. All folders by default are ordered with oldest first and non
threading, which is annoying.

- In KMail, when I send a mail, the composer windows immediately closes
and I can continue to work. In Thunderbird the composer windows only
closes after the message has been sent successfully.

- GPG mails look much nicer in KMail. The Thunderbird UI even made me
believe some message would be signed while it only quoted a signed
message from me.

- Thunderbird only downloads messages when I enter the folder. The "Get
Mail" method seems to work only on the INBOX folder. A method to
synchronize all folders is well hidden in the "offline" menu item.

- Kmail (or Kontakt?) provides an UI to show what it is currently doing
in the lower right edge. Thunderbird only has one Status line where
messages quickly hush away.

- Thunderbird can not combine threading and date headers. I very much
miss the date headers from KMail in my message list.

- When selecting multiple messages, KMail shows me the last selected
message while Thunderbird shows a kind of summary of all selected
messages. I like KMail's way to quickly scan and select a couple of
mails to delete.

- I've not yet used multiline list views since the old laptop has a wide
screen. But now with the small screen I'm missing such an option in
Thunderbird. Only now I discovered the customizable list design! That's
real fancy stuff!

- It seems, KMail is waaaay more configurable.

- The Debian Icedove package somehow screwed up clickable links.

- I haven't found an option to minimize Thunderbird to the system tray.

- The folder list only shows number of unread messages in a folder, but
not total number.

The only thing that I liked about Thunderbird is that I can switch on
and off the message body view with one keypress. In general KMail could
be optimized to make better use of the screen. On a small screen I'd
actually like to have individual full screen views of folders, message
list and message body and the ability to quickly switch between those
with a keypress.

Well. After all, I might remain with KMail in the end. Thunderbird might
be nice for a casual email user but not if email is half your
(professional) life.

Just please take care not to screw up my mails! Please!

Regards, Thomas Koch