[Kde-pim] Thunderbird experiences

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 21:55:13 BST 2012

On Tuesday 20 March 2012, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for my new Laptop I installed Icedove (Thunderbird) 8 instead of
> KMail. I wanted to try sth else after 4+ actually satisfactory years
> with KMail.
>
> So maybe you like some experiences?
>
> - Thunderbird only downloads messages when I enter the folder. The
> "Get Mail" method seems to work only on the INBOX folder. A method
> to synchronize all folders is well hidden in the "offline" menu
> item.

That's just the default. You can change this in the folder properties.
It's a bit annoying because I had to change it for almost all of my
folders.

Another thing I noticed today:
- Thunderbird does not mark a message a replied if you move the message
while you are writing the reply. Granted, it might not be a very common
workflow but I actually did this today. When doing it I already wondered
whether Thunderbird would handle this. In KMail this has worked forever.

- I absolutely miss the 'm' key to quickly move messages in Thunderbird.
I guess the 'j' key would also be nice to have, but I don't use it very
often in KMail and I'm not really missing it in Thunderbird. But the 'm'
key I really miss.

- I absolutely hate the "there is a plugin for this" approach
Thunderbird (and Firefox for that matter) takes.

- OTOH, I have to say that searching works extremely well and fast in
Thunderbird. Also, indexing my 1+ GB of mail in my work account didn't
have any noticable negative effect on Thunderbird or even the system.

Regards,
Ingo