[Kde-pim] entering events in korganizer sucks

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 20:03:21 GMT 2012

On Monday 12 March 2012, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On Monday, March 12, 2012 09:46:46 PM Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > - Click and drag to select the new event's start and duration.
> > - Start typing the summary to create the event and fill the
> > summary. (The event dialog is non-modal, BTW.)
> > - Press Return if the summary is all you need.
> >
> > Sure, the event dialog might be overwhelming if you only want to
> > enter a summary, but it does close on Return and thus does not
> > really get into your way.
>
> Wow didn't know about this! I was clicking enter to make the dialog
> appear.
>
> Usability-wise not sure this is the best though :p

Why? Because it's not easily discoverable? That's why there is also a
primary technique to achieve the same goal, but with more clicks.
Advanced/secondary techniques (like keyboard shortcuts) do not have to
be discoverable. It's good enough if they are explained in the manual.

About discoverability: Would you have figured out the "Pinch to Zoom"
gesture if nobody would have told you?

Regards,
Ingo