[Kde-pim] KDE 4.8, Virtuoso at 130% CPU for hours now - how can I help find the issue?

Markus Feilner lists at feilner-it.net
Sat Jan 28 12:04:01 GMT 2012

Thanks, Sven!

> I thought there was a setting to make neopmuk stop indexing when on
> battery. But I cannot find it at the moment. :(
>
> > I will have it run for the weekend, but I doubt that this is the problem.
>
> http://kdeatopensuse.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/debugging-nepomukvirtuosos-cp
>u- usage/
>
> You can try to find out which queries keep it busy. Unfortunately I do also
> see high cpu usage without any queries running. Logging its actions does
> not work very well either, i.e. the log does not get filled even if I
> enable logging for everything possible.

I will try that... and I hope to find the correct settings to deactivate
nepomuk and virtuoso after kontact is being closed.

On my notebook, I only run LXDE (on Mint and Ubuntu that consumes less power
than KDE, other than on Suse - see our next Linux-Magazine), and I only start
kontact, kate and other KDE stuff (great work you are doing!) when I need it.
But I noticed that virtuoso-t and nepomuk are still running and ranking
within the top five power consumer of powertop's list, even after kontact is
closed and akonadictl has received its "stop" command.

I guess I will have to write a small wrapper for me... and perhaps I will do
another clean install. :-)

During the next days I am working on an online article for the magazine,
showing some powersaving/monitoring tools that didn't make it in the article
about power consumption. Perhaps I will try to do some application profiling,
nothing big, but some tests, though.

I really hope that kontact won't be that much more hungry than thunderbird,
but at the moment my hope isn't that big.

I'll keep you updated...

:-)
--

Best Regards - Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Markus Feilner

-------------------------
Feilner IT Linux & GIS
Linux Solutions, Training, Seminare und Workshops - auch Inhouse
Kötztinger Straße 6c                 93057 Regensburg
Telefon:                                          +49 941 8 10 79 89
Mobil:                                              +49 170 3 02 70 92

Mail: mfeilner at feilner-it.net   Web: http://www.feilner-it.net -
Google+: https://plus.google.com/105201437130417639658
Xing: http://www.xing.com/profile/Markus_Feilner

Linux Magazine Germany:        mfeilner at linux-magazin.de
My books at Packt: Open source - privacy and connectivity for everyone!
 New and revised:       http://www.packtpub.com/learning-openvpn-2-0-9/book
 Sold more than 5000 times:  http://www.packtpub.com/openvpn/book
 My Groupware book:     http://www.packtpub.com/scalix/book