[Kde-pim] KDE 4.8, Virtuoso at 130% CPU for hours now - how can I help find the issue?

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 28 16:55:11 GMT 2012

Indexing does take *very* long.

Here are a couple of points that still suck with current indexing:

* It's slow (sometimes seconds for a single message). This is mainly due to
the merging logic in nepomuk I believe. I suppose there would be quite some
room for improvement.

* If the initial indexing doesn't finish, and i.e. the computer is restarted,
it starts all over. The indexing status should at least be tracked with
collection granularity.

* Some messages still fail to be indexed (due to a problem in merging).

I'm aware of those problems and will try to fix them. The pim sprint will be
one opportunity for this. So far I was busy getting it to work basically, I'm
sorry that it still kinda sucks (It wasn't initially apparent to me how much
it sucks).

Since the indexing can take days (depending on your mailbox), if you restart
in between you might never get out of the initial indexing phase.

Here's what you can do:
* Index only what you need:
KMail -> Folder Properties -> Maintenance -> Disable fulltext indexing

* Wait until the initial indexing has finished:
It's done when you have the following line in:
.kde4/share/config/akonadi_nepomuk_feederrc

[InitialIndexing]
IndexCompatLevel=3

* add

[akonadi_nepomuk_feeder]
DisableIdleDetection=true

to the same file to disable idle detection (Meaning it will constantly keep
indexing => hog your cpu).

Once you manage to get over the initial indexing things should go quite smooth
from there. But yes, initial indexing is still in pretty bad shape apparently.

Of course it's still not necessarily the problem for you, there is a bug where
virtuoso simply goes crazy. But the feeder can also cause virtuoso to run at
full speed (at least as soon as you stop moving the mouse), for a long time.

Cheers,
Christian