[Kde-pim] From a users point of view ....

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Wed Feb 22 12:30:57 GMT 2012

Onsdag den 22. februar 2012 11:43:42 Marc Deop skrev:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2012 18:21:22 Denny wrote:
> > I could spent the whole day fixing new appearing Errors and Crashes of kde
> > - pim.
> > Is this just broken by design or why isn't there a working email client
> > for at least 4 years?
> > I thought with KDE 4.7.x we were over it and at least basic things kinda
> > worked stable again.
> > With KDE 4.8 now - nothing is working anymore, just to name a few things
> > annoying one one on a daily basis:
> > - Filters: broken
> > - Crashes : several per day
> > - email Addresses not recognised as you type
> > - password management : broken
> > - several empty windows popping up from ktimetracke at login ....
> >
> > Am I supposed to create a new profile each and every time I upgrade to a
> > new version and scrap all my data?
> >
> > Obviously, even Kontact PIM fans gave up by now. What I don't understand
> > is
> > why other kde developers step up helping fixing most annoying bugs, as
> > this
> > situation damages the whole kde experience.
> >
> > Denny
>
> With this attitude you aren't helping, at all.
>
> Even though I aknowledge there are problems with the PIM suite, last think I
> would do is rant in here. Instead, offer your help debugging and triagging.
> *That* might help.
>
> And to the developers: *THANKS* for all your effort and work on KDE. I'm
> sure it will become bugfree eventually :)

Marc,

While I share the appreciation of everyone working on free software and
kdepim, I still do not understand the desire to censor away frustrations.
Developers should be willing to harden themseleves a bit, and realize that the
user frustration comes from a desire to use the software in question.

Not everyone have the time and/or ability to do debugging or triaging,
eventhough many will like to help. Do you have a way non-technical and busy
people can help? otherwise don't ask them to. And whenever aksing people to
help, point to information on how to.

In your reply to Denny, you first ban him, accusing him of bad attitude, then
say he is right, and suggest that he help, but not how to get started. Do you
think that is comforting, or constructive from his point of view? I know that
it isn't from mine, when I am met with that sort of reaction.

How about in the future, when someone takes the time to tell you about his
frustrations, instead of making people feel even worse by accusing them of
being stupid/bad/annoying because they react, offer a bit of empathy and a
startingpoint to help?

Maybe it is time to have a "how to help debugging kmail/akonadi/nepomuk" page
somwhere, and linking to it when responding to unhappy users?

Anders
(who had to restart akonadi during writing this message, as it went bonkers
either due to mail indexing or filtering, making typing in composer impossible)