[Kde-pim] Phantom akonadi IMAP resources

Jörg Schaible joerg.schaible at gmx.de
Sun Feb 26 02:42:01 GMT 2012

Hello,

today my KMail 4.7.4 messed up my box. It started when I had to realize that
Kontact suddenly claimed most of the available memory and my machine hardly
responded to my actions because of extensive swapping. I had to kill the
process to get into normal state again. Starting KMail alone gave proof that
it cause the problem.

However, now I had the problem, that after launching it started always
immediately to allocate a lot of memory within a few seconds and the machine
got totally unresponsive.

As next action I deleted the IMAP resource in akonadi_control, since I have
all my 50000 mails on the server (actually I could delete also the local
folder). I started KMail, the IMAP resource was gone, it behaved normally
and I closed it again.

Then I recreated the IMAP resource from scratch in akonadi_control again,
started KMail and it seemed to work at first glance, I closed it and started
Kontact. But it started suddenly to consume my memory again and crashed.
Starting KMail again as standalone application showed that the problem was
occurring again, but this time I also got a second process
"akonadi_imap_resource" behaving the same (allocating more than 2GB of
memory). I killed KMail and restarted akonadi.

I recreated the IMAP resource again to see if the effect on KMail as
standalone app is again gone, but this time KMail started with the memory
waste quite immediately followed by a crash after allocating more than 4GB
within a few seconds. Everytime.

As next action I deleted the IMAP resource again, stopped akonadi and
removed any trace of an imap resource in ~/.kde4/share/config/ and
~/.config/akonadi. After restarting akonadi and KMail I have now the weird
situation that KMail shows me now the IMAP server two times in the left
pane, but neither in KMail's settings nor in akonadi_control is any IMAP
resource visible. KMail cannot resync any of the mail folders (according the
error message on the console), but can access the already available mails
like on offline mode.

How can I clean this up without losing all my akonadi calendar and contact
resources? Akonadi uses an external MySQL DB. Where does KMail get the info
about those deleted IMAP resources and how can I get rid of them? Anybody
else facing this memory hog?

- Jörg