[Kde-pim] HTML messages

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Wed Feb 29 20:36:40 GMT 2012

tisdag 28 februari 2012 23:05:40 skrev  Ingo Klöcker:
> Hi,
>
> first of all, this is the wrong mailing list for this kind of question
> since it is clearly usage related and not development related. So, in
> future, please use the kdepim-users mailing list for user questions.

Sorry for that. Have both lists going to the same folder and just pressed send
on the wrong one. Thanks for taking the time to answer anyway!

But the rest is more for developers than for user-instructor now.

> On Tuesday 28 February 2012, Dag Nygren wrote:
> > Hi there!
> >
> > I am looking for a setting I am sure some of you have found.
> > The setting is for showing an icon selection of HTML/plaintext in the
> > fancy header for a message that can be viewed in both modes.
> >
> > I know it exists as I have been using kmail this way on my main
> > computer (ATM version 4.8.0) for ages. Now I have kmail 2.1.1 on my
> > laptop and cannot for my life find the setting for enabling these
> > "structure icons". Is my 2.1.1 kmail from the newest Mandriva too
> > old or am I just blind?
>
> You are not blind. I'm not aware of such a feature to exist in the
> official KDE version of KMail. It is possible that some distributor
> added such a feature without upstreaming it.

Hmm. The one I see it working in is compiled directly from source.
But now when you mentioned it I can see that the particular message that
triggered me sending the question actually behaves the same in the desktop and
the laptop. No HTML choice even if it is a HTML+text message.

> The following feature did and still does exist: If KMail shows a pure
> HTML message as plain text then the message display contains a link for
> switching to HTML view.

This leads to the question: Why isn't this always triggered? Is there some
special conditions that needs to be fulfilled? Messages with both HTML AND text
sections?

And this for the developers: Would it be possible to always have a small
button for displaying the HTML message if you want to see it? I definitely
don't want to enable the "Always show HTML", but rather activate this only on
known reliable sources.

Now the only way I can see the HTML is by enabling the "Message structure" and
select it from there and this is quite combersome. Always displaying the
message structure grabs too much screen space in normal emails again.

> The following feature did exist in older versions of KMail: The message
> structure pane which optionally was shown below the message preview
> pane. By selecting the HTML part in the message structure pane and then
> clicking the link (the same as mentioned above) one could switch the
> message to HTML view.

Older? Still have that in my 4.8.0 ??

Thanks a lot!
Dag