[Kde-pim] fuck you, akonadi

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 09:49:34 BST 2012

2012/4/12 Georg C. F. Greve <greve at kolabsys.com>

> On Thursday 12 April 2012 08.30:50 ianseeks wrote:
> > I must admit i still don't see the reason for Akonadi etc other than an
> > "itch  to scratch". I can't rationalise this direction at all, it just
> > seems so over designed and over engineered for the ordinary user.
>
> Assuming that the ordinary user never wants to use mobile phones or
> tablets,
> never has more than one email account with a couple of mails per day, and
> never uses Facebook or any other social media service, you're probably
> right
> that Akonadi is overdesigned. Who needs that Web 2.0 stuff, anyhow?

Oddly enough I have all those things - Multiple accounts, calendars,address
book all on line. My Android Phone and Thunderbird interop with them just
fine. Funny how an ancient legacy app like thunderbird works so well with
that stuff.

Whereas Akonadi does not. At best it syncs some of the calendar stuff and
address books, but it always misses some items or takes days to notice
changes. At worst it destroys them - and that happens often enough I only
use it with test accounts.

> Assuming however that ordinary users do at least some of these things,
> Akonadi
> or something like it was inevitable.

I disagree strongly - a centralized middle man to sync all these things
sounds great in theory, but in practice its turned out to be an over
engineered mess with far to many fragile components, any one of which can
break the whole chain. And no one seems to have a clear overview.

--
Lindsay