[Kde-pim] *******, akonadi

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 14:04:10 BST 2012

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:14:23 AM Del wrote:

> Yes, a lot of users want proprietary software to work well. Indeed.
> And you will find a shiny new Akonadi plugin for Google services that
> should work nicely now.

Yes, I've been using it, built from trunk. And testing it, providing bug
reports, testing patches and eyeballing the source myself. Its a nice clean
piece of code. Neverless still problems with occasional crashes and syncing is
very spotty. It leads me to wonder if its akonadi itself that is the problem.

> I will have to check later today, I believe it worked last time I checked.
>
> > Kolab is very much an edge case, its a trivial number of users compared to
> > the number of people that want to sync their google mail, calendars and
> > addressbooks.
>
> It is arguably the only viable free alternative on the server side,
> and hence should have priority in my book. Sacrificing open solutions
> in favour of popular proprietary offerings is a dangerous route. I
> believe Google is fully responsible for not providing protocols
> already supported.

However Google does provide well documented open api's that work and many open
source projects work well with them.

If the position of the akonadi team is that projects like kolab are first
class and support for gmail/exchange is depreciated than it is doomed to be
nothing but a toy groupware project. It is the height of elitest arrogance to
expect the huge majority of groupware users - exchange/gmail to move to kolab
servers. kolab et al aren't even a percentage point of users compared to
exchange and gmail.

> Eh, it has a quite capable dual core 1.2GHz ARM CPU, 1GB of ram and
> more than enough space to use 5GB for e-mail+contacts+calendar
> storage. I certainly would like that. I have hardly found any apps
> worthy of filling up the storage space anyway, but my groupware data
> is important to me.

I don't use my phone as a desktop replacement - its a lousy device for that.
Its great for seeing new emails, calender reminders and agenda displays. And
phone calls. It does all that really well. If I want to do more than trival
emails and events I have a desktop pc with a big screen and real keyboard that
can search all my emails far faster thand easier than a phone ever could and a
nice interface for editing emails/calanders etc. Or I can do it on the server
itself via a web interface.

--
Lindsay