[Kde-pim] *******, akonadi

Del delonly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 14:59:01 BST 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I've been using it, built from trunk. And testing it, providing bug
> reports, testing patches and eyeballing the source myself. Its a nice clean
> piece of code. Neverless still problems with occasional crashes and syncing is
> very spotty. It leads me to wonder if its akonadi itself that is the problem.

Sorry about that, I was hoping it was more mature. Thanks for helping
out. Did you try the Caldav interface for the calendar?

> However Google does provide well documented open api's that work and many open
> source projects work well with them.

Really? You mean like caldav? Which open projects are you talking about exactly?

> If the position of the akonadi team is that projects like kolab are first
> class and support for gmail/exchange is depreciated than it is doomed to be
> nothing but a toy groupware project.

Please do not twist reality like this. The Kolab community is one of
the driving forces for fixing kde-pim these days. Not the other way
around. The fact that they have supported the modular approach in
Akonadi speaks volumes, it is exactly what enables multiple server
side protocols and multiple clients without sacrificing performance or
stability.

> It is the height of elitest arrogance to
> expect the huge majority of groupware users - exchange/gmail to move to kolab
> servers. kolab et al aren't even a percentage point of users compared to
> exchange and gmail.

Please avoid strawmen like that. It is the other way around. Akonadi
was designed exactly to enable multiple protocols. You are free to
believe that the implementation of Akonadi is crap, and I am free to
believe that you will be proven wrong in a matter of weeks. Please do
not make this into a discussion where you will throw out just about
any insult just to win the argument.

> I don't use my phone as a desktop replacement - its a lousy device for that.

I believe you should have more faith in what your phone can do. I hope
Kontact touch can be an eye-opener.

> Its great for seeing new emails, calender reminders and agenda displays. And
> phone calls. It does all that really well. If I want to do more than trival
> emails and events I have a desktop pc with a big screen and real keyboard that
> can search all my emails far faster thand easier than a phone ever could and a
> nice interface for editing emails/calanders etc. Or I can do it on the server
> itself via a web interface.

Scheduling and search functionality are rather important. Even basic I
would say. A functionality that even in Microsoft Office 2010 is
rather unimpressive compared to kde-pim, and practically non-existant
on the smartphones.

Cheers,
Del