[Kde-pim] *******, akonadi

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Fri Apr 13 16:56:52 BST 2012

On Friday 13 Apr 2012 17:31:42 Del wrote:
> > If Kontact etc was truly modular, it would follow the Unix way and you'd
> > be
> > able to install kontact without Akonadi etc and it would still work as it
> > should. That is my only gripe with kontact, bugs come with all software
> > during development.
>
> The 4.4 version is still available I believe, and is what all stable
> distros  ship still. I believe the problem keeping both back-ends is more
> that 4.4. is not really modular, so supporting that as an additional
> back-end would require quite an effort. In principle I agree though, if it
> was easy, I would like it. Others have far better overview of this code
> base than me though.

While current Kontact is much more modular than the old version (you could
replace the Akonadi server implementation, for example) there is no way to
keep the 4.4 backend with the current Kontact frontend UI.  The reason is that
the current code has been almost completely rewritten for Akonadi, keeping
some of the superficial UI code and writing new lookalike UI in other places.
In effect it is a new program with the same name.

So what Ian is asking for is providing the old and new Kontact implementations
in parallel.  There is definitely no manpower to do this in KDE PIM.  I did
provide legacy kdepim (4.3) an for openSUSE for a couple of releases and
stopped as nobody seemed to care.  As a packaging-old-code problem, it is
trivial, but it includes all the old bugs that nobody upstream will look at
any more.

And if I may plug my own stuff a bit, I've made a set of KDE 4.8 packages that
split along boring old features and cool new things lines, so Akonadi and
Nepomuk are completely optional.  I'll blog about them over the weekend.

Will