[Kde-pim] Mix of config and cache data

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Apr 23 18:52:33 BST 2012

Am Montag, 23. April 2012, 15:11:57 schrieb Christian Mollekopf:
> Hey Martin,
>
> I don't know what exactly happended to you regarding your mail-loss, but it
> is possibly because the config is NOT stored inside the db.
>
> The problem with deleting the db is:
> Every File/Folder (or Item/Collection to use tha akonadi jargon), has a
> unique id within the db. If you delete the db, the new db will reuse those
> ids though (but probably not for the same file/folder). Since config
> options applying to a certain folder usually use this id, your config will
> suddenly apply to a different folder after recreating the db.
> That is why such config options should be stored in the db IMO.
>
> As I said, I don't know if that is what happened to you, but consider it as
> a possibility (as this would make your conclusion below wrong).

That exactly happened to me. I had expiration set to about 20% of my folder
and after my migration to my new computer (without copying the akonadi DB) the
expiration was set to totally different folder. One was my archive folder (easy
to restore because it was empty afterwards). Others were worse as I had to find
the missing mails first.

If I remember this correct part of the problem was caused by choosing an
integer ID instead the path/URL. I don't know how this is or will be solved in
future.

So thanks for clearing this out.

But how is a backup supposed to be handled then? Always the complete DB?

Regards
Martin