[Kde-pim] fuck you, akonadi

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Thu Apr 12 10:32:33 BST 2012

On Thursday 12 April 2012 18.49:34 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> Oddly enough I have all those things - Multiple accounts, calendars,address
> book all on line. My Android Phone and Thunderbird interop with them just
> fine. Funny how an ancient legacy app like thunderbird works so well with
> that stuff.

....providing only a small subset of the functionality of KDE PIM or Outlook,
however, which was precisely the point.

Thunderbird/Lightning provides what could be called "groupware light".

If that subset is enough for you, fine.

But in many cases, especially where professional use cases are concerned, it
is not. And yes, Thunderbird is going to have major difficulties matching the
functional depth of KDE PIM with its current architecture. Not to mention it
is unlikely to be able to adapt to multiple form factors in the same way that
Kontact Touch can provide.

So yes, you could also say that your little Falcon [1] has no problems
bringing you from airport one to airport two and is therefore far superior to
the A380 [2] which is totally overdesigned. But then, while much more complex,
and technologically challenging and with setbacks and problems along the path,
the A380 is somewhat in a different league.

Best regards,
Georg

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheibe_Falke
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A380