[Kde-pim] Fetching of local items in the imap resource (no rid)

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 12 17:35:07 BST 2012

Hey,

I ran into a problem, where I tried fetching items from a collection which has
not yet been synchronized (no rid), from an imap resource.

Now there are two possibilities where the bug lies:

1. The akonadi-server should never ask the resource for items in a collection
without a remote id.

2. The resource should discard requests for items in collections without rid
silently.

At the moment both is not happening, and for some reason the items are also
not returned by the ItemFetchJob (nor an error message).

If the first option is how it is thought of, I would:
- Add the check in the imap resource, and set an error accordingly.
- Fix the server to not ask for items in collections without rid

If the second option is the correct one:
- Discard the request silently =)

In anycase I would document the intended behaviour in resourcebase.h.

IMO the first option makes more sense, as I can't think of a case where it
makes sense to ask the resource for an item without remote id. These cases
should always be resolvable from the data in the database on the server.

The resource currently gets asked for it's data due to the mCacheOnly flag,
which is set to false in my case, as you can see in
server/src/fetchhelper.cpp.

I have yet to figure out why I didn't get the items from the database or an
error from the fetch job though.

Cheers,
Christian