[Kde-pim] kontact and MS Exchange almost 100% working via OWA with davmail

"Grégory Oestreicher" greg at kamago.net
Thu Sep 22 09:21:39 BST 2011

Hi Günter,

> although this thread is old, I'd like to add some info and my experience:

Thanks a lot for this valuable information and work.

> 1.Upload of events that do not have a time associated (i.e. whole day event)
> works, i.e. those events appear in the OWA calendar. Deleting the same event
> locally also works and is reflected in the OWA calendar.
>
> 2. Trying to create an event with an associated time triggers a long error
> message, the top saying "ErrorMimeContentConversionFailed". The full message
> is at http://paste.kde.org/125929/

OK, looking at it is rather obscure as I don't speak Exchange lingo fluently, but
validating the iCal data at two different validators (http://icalvalid.cloudapp.net/
and http://severinghaus.org/projects/icv/) shows only one warning. So the problem must
be elsewhere.

> 3. As a test where the error might be, I tested using davmail and
> Thunderbird/Lightning Extension. Works without problems.

Do you think you can have DavMail log the iCal data for a successfull upload from
Lightning? I'd like to compare both.

> So my guess is that somehow the event that is generated by the resource is not
> conform either to the davmail protocol or the exchange protocol. But I am no
> expert.

But that's a good guess, and the same as mine.

> Exchange Version I do not know (could check on Friday)

Based on the DavMail logs it's Exchange 2010.

> BTW: the kcaldav resource with kdepim 4.4.11 works also without problems
> (compiled from Google repo at http://code.google.com/p/kcaldav/), maybe that
> helps to find the problem.

The fact that this also works with KCal may have the same explanation: the iCal data
generated by KCalCore may have some non-edible bits (albeit compliant) for Exchange.

Thanks again for your time to debug this.

Cheers,
Grégory