[Kde-pim] KDE PIM bug triage / developer sprint anyone?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Oct 19 17:05:13 BST 2011

David Narvaez, 19.10.2011:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > Stephan Diestelhorst, 19.10.2011:
> >> Some background, skip possibly:
> >> I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the way bugs pile up and
> >> are not handled.
> >> This has prompted me to actually look into the source and pinpoint the
> >> offending change set (regression!), however, the fix was not straight
> >> forward, so I am depending
> >> on the author of that changeset. That has been sitting idle for
> >> several weeks now.
> >> Note: Not pointing fingers here, so please stay cool.
> >>
> >> Now the real part:
> >> What I think has already been lamented is the lack of bug triaging and
> >> leadership for
> >> this project in particular. What I would like to propose in order to
> >> help here is a bug
> >> triaging and squashing sprint. It would at least allow me to have
> >> synchronous communication with the people who know how things are
> >> supposed to work but have not enough time to fix all the bugs. I
> >> believe this might be
> >> beneficial for the project as
> >> a whole.
> >>
> >> So.. are there any plans for having a developer sprint soon? The ones on
> >> https://sprints.kde.org/sprint do not really touch KDE PIM. If not,
> >> would people be
> >> interested to have one? If this becomes a yes, I would actually spare
> >> up to one week
> >> of vacation for this, and can offer to organise things locally, if
> >> Dresden (Eastern
> >> Germany) would fit as a location.
> >
> > You mean this one which you missed by a few days:
> >
> > http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Meetings/KMail_Stabilization_Sprint_2011
>
> That's mainly focusing on KMail, there are many issues elsewhere in KDE
> PIM.
>
> > Furthermore: I'm in a similar situation like you. I also fix bugs I
> > notice in KDEPim and usually I don't have to wait for more than a few
> > hours/days before I get a response. What channels do you use for
> > discussion? I suggest using #kontact and/or #akonadi on FreeNode irc.
> > Some pim people are usually around and very helpful. Same goes imo for
> > the Pim mailing list...
>
> Depending on the area in KDE PIM, that may or may not be true. I have
> a patch pending reviews for more than a week now (which actually tries
> to fix a regression reported by Stephan himself), two unanswered
> threads in this mailing list to start tackling sensitive* bugs in
> Akonadi and a list of open bugs that may be fixed with that work which
> has not even started yet. I went impatient and tried looking for
> guidance at #akonadi and didn't find help because, as David Faure
> mentioned, the knowledge about models is concentrated in very few
> people.
>
> As long as we don't get an answer from them, we're pretty much stuck
> here. I'm obviously not pointing fingers as I can't expect KDE
> [...]

Let me add that such meetings are always a good idea. Just note that there
just been a KMail sprint and that it takes some time to plan the next one. If
someone wants to organize the next sprint, I bet many will be interested
(again).

Thought for the short intermin a good old bug-day on the weekend should/could
be organized if a date can be found where many core PIM people can attend.

bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de